Give your car a holiday
About 90% of people currently travel to the Yorkshire Dales by car. This has a big environmental impact in several different ways. Cars produce carbon dioxide - a greenhouse gas - thus contributing to climage change. And of course they increase the level of traffic travelling on the small country lanes of the Dales - contributing to trafffic jams and disrupting the tranquillity of this special landscape.
Even if you use a car to get here, you really can make a difference and reduce your environmental impact.
For example, if you're visiting the Dales on holiday, you can set aside at least a couple of days when you give your car a rest too. There's a wealth of things to do which don't require a car and we guarantee that they'll add to your enjoyment of the Yorkshire Dales.
Here are just a few ideas:
- Plan ahead. A little bit of thought goes a long way! Planning your journeys will help you get the most out of your holiday. Our National Park Centres and partnership Tourist Information Centres (link opens in new window), which are scattered throughout the National Park, are fantastic sources of ideas and travel information.
- Use local bus services. A journey on public transport will allow you to relax and enjoy the scenery. You'll be able to see over the top of all those dry stone walls for which the Dales are famous. You can then enjoy a linear walk instead of having to walk round in a circle to get back to your car! Visit the Bus Services and Walking sections of this website.
- Take a trip on the scenic Settle to Carlisle railway. Phone National Rail enquiries for details of train times. Visit the Rail and Train section of this website.
- Hire a bike. Spend a day experiencing the joy of cycling the quieter highways and byways of the Dales. Visit our Cycling section.
- Leave your car in a properly managed, authorised car park. There are over 20 car parks dotted throughout the Dales, a number of them managed by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and severl of them located close to a National Park Centre. There is a small charge but the money goes towards the upkeep of the Park and your car will be safer from crime or accidental damage than if it is left on the roadside. The locations of these car parks are given on our Parking page.
- Stay overnight. Instead of making several day trips to the Dales, why not have a proper break. This will save on travel and allow you to enjoy the special qualities of the Dales (and its real ales!) at a time when day visitors have returned home. For more information about where to stay visit the accommodation section of the Yorkshire Dales Tourism website (link opens in new window).