Dales horse riding tips
Here are a few simple tips to bear in mind when enjoying your horse riding trip across the Yorkshire Dales.
- Plan your route in advance and check there are no obstructions or problems on your chosen bridleways. Not all bridleways marked on OS maps are currently rideable, check with the nearest Bridleways group - contacts can be found on the BHS website (link opens in new window).
- Always tell someone where you are heading and how long you expect to be out.
- Carry change for the phone to use in an emergency. Don't rely on your mobile to summon help if you have a problem, not all the Dales have good reception.
- Prepare for all sorts of weather, carry a waterproof.
- Wear reflective or bright clothing - the Dales roads are narrow, twistedand can be busy. It's best to be highly visible.
- Carry a hoofpick, many of the bridleways are stoney tracks.
- When parking your trailer/horsebox please don't block gateways or passing places. Use the National Park car parks if possible, many are situated near the start of some lovely bridleways. Details are provided within the Driving in the Dales section of this website.
- If you can, take a small camera with you to capture the spectacular scenery.
- Always follow the Countryside Code.
- Shut all gates behind you and please do not disturb livestock especially sheep at lambing time.